PAGES

Salt dough Christmas ornaments

Wednesday, December 10, 2014
salt dough ornaments

The other day I wanted to do something fun with Braxton for the holidays so we attempted some salt dough ornaments. We went to AC Moore and picked up some cookie cutters and then to Wegmans for some flour and extra salt...and ice cream. I'm not the craftiest but who can mess up something that has only three ingredients? 

Here's what you'll need:

salt dough ornaments
  • 1 cup of flour (we used a little more, but I just eyed it) 
  • 1/2 cup of salt 
  • 1/2 cup of water 
  • Ground cinnamon if you want them to smell nice
  • Some extra flour so you can roll the dough 


  • Rolling pin
  • Cookie cutters 
  • Acrylic paint/paint brushes
  • Glitter, if you love glitter like me
  • Ribbon to hang the ornaments 

What you need to do:
  • Preheat the oven to 250
  • Mix the flour and salt in a large bowl, and the cinnamon if you choose to use it. 
  • Pour in the water and stir until it's doughy...like I said, I used a little extra flour because my dough was a too wet.
  • Sprinkle some flour on your rolling surface and then roll the dough until it's about 1/4" thick 
  • Use cookie cutters and then place on a baking sheet 
  • Use a straw to make a hole so you can hang them later
  • Bake for about 3 hours, flipping them once halfway through - flipping them is important!
  • Let them cool on the baking sheet when they're hardened 
  • Decorate! 


salt dough ornaments
The ones to the left are the first batch, I'm loving Braxton and Ava's handprints. 
salt dough ornaments
Martha Stewart glitter is my FAVORITE. These gingerbread men will be cute gifts but I can't decide if we should decorate them more...


salt dough ornaments


Braxton needs a haircut so bad haha


After awhile Braxton got bored of painting so he asked me to finish them but he LOVED doing the glitter...I don't blame him haha 

salt dough christmas ornaments


I plan on sending a couple ornaments to my mom, giving a couple to the in laws, and then also adding a couple to Braxton's teachers' Christmas basket as well as giving a couple to his speech teacher (speech therapy is still going, and going well!) and his teacher's assistant. Easy, super affordable gifts, as well as thoughtful! 






No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design