PAGES

Philly cheesesteak egg rolls

Tuesday, March 25, 2014
I don't usually fry foods, well actually I never fry anything, except when I make homemade egg rolls. So Brian and I had a cheat day on Sunday with Philly cheesesteak egg rolls (and cheesecake). I went grocery shopping that day and I happened to pass by the egg roll wrappers so I put them in the cart. We haven't had egg rolls in quite awhile so Brian was excited for them. There's a small process to them but I didn't mind that day since he was entertaining the munchkins. 

My sister Toni originally shared this idea with me years ago so I can't take full credit for them but I wanted to share because they're that good. It's one of those recipes you can kind of just play with and add whatever you want to it and that's how I do it. Whatever sounds good at the time I will usually put in them but here's the basic recipe. 


You'll need:
  • Egg roll wraps
  • 1 to 1 1/2 lbs of beef 
  • 2 green peppers
  • 1 to 2 onions
  • 2 cups mozzarella cheese 
  • Mushrooms
  • Salt
  • Pepper 
  • Garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil 
  • 1 egg for an egg wash
  • Frying oil


Chop the onions and peppers so they're decently small. Separately, chop mushrooms and set them aside.


In a warm pan, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil (or butter) and then sauté onions and peppers until they're tender.  I add about two teaspoons of salt, a teaspoon of garlic powder, and about a teaspoon of pepper. Sometimes I use more, sometimes less. It's all about seasoning to taste. I add the chopped mushrooms after that and let them sauté for about one to two minutes, stirring frequently. 


Put the cooked onions, peppers, and mushrooms in a bowl and then add 1 cup of the cheese.


In the same pan, cook the beef. - With the beef this time I went the easy way. Usually I will have thin strip steaks on hand and will just cut them in small pieces. However, while I was out shopping, I noticed there were beef cubes the perfect size so I got those to save time. - Cook until browned, but not well done. 


Mix the beef, after draining, into the mixture and let cool. You don't want it to be hot/warm when you're rolling it into the wraps. Depending on the time, sometimes I put it in the freezer for a few and other times I just let it sit in the fridge if I have enough time. (These are perfect to prep in the morning and cook later in the day!)

I have a little set up when I'm rolling the egg rolls. I'll put the remainder of the cheese in a bowl and in another bowl I'll have the egg wash. I line a plate with wax paper so the rolls don't stick. 


Add a spoonful of the cheesesteak mixture onto the middle of the wrap and then sprinkle with cheese.  You're going to roll the wrap just like you would a burrito by doing the sides first. When you do that, brush a little of the egg wash on so the roll stays together. 


Once you have the majority rolled, brush the edge with some of the egg wash to completely close it. 
- A tip, make sure you don't over fill the egg roll because that will make it tear when rolling, which you don't want.  

Here's where you can do whatever you want with the cooking process. You can either fry or bake them. Brian prefers me frying them, which makes them oh so crispy and good. With frying you want to make sure the oil is at 350 degrees. I will pop one to two egg rolls in at a time, no more than that though, and I will turn them frequently so they brown evenly. They only need to go in for two to three minutes. Once done, put them on a paper towel lined plate and let sit for about 5 minutes

Then enjoy...



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design