PAGES

Shadowbox memories

Saturday, March 29, 2014
I wanted to share the shadowbox I did for Ava awhile back because it's one of my favorite little DIY's. I'm pretty sentimental so I really cherish the memories of when my babies were little. Seeing the little foot prints, their first little hat, and the coming home outfit brings back so many emotions for me. Excitement, nervousness (no matter if it's your first or second you're still a little nervous!), happiness...there are just so many memories tied to those days. The great thing about a shadowbox is that you don't have to just pack away those memories, you can display them and have a precious keepsake. Shadowboxes can be so simple and there are hundreds of ways to do them but here's how I did mine...

What I used:
Ava's hospital keepsake blanket
Coming home onesie
Coming home headband
Hospital hat with bow
Footprints
Bassinet card
5x7 picture from the hospital
Wooden letter "A" covered in glitter
16x20 shadowbox 
Pins


The day before I did the shadowbox, I covered the wooden letter with Mod Podge and then sprinkled rose colored glitter on it. You'll shake the excess glitter off and then let it dry. I have done so many things with Mod Podge and glitter, I love it. You can choose to leave it be, or sometimes to seal it, I will use a clear gloss spray paint on it so the glitter doesn't go everywhere. I thought the glittery "A" would be kind of unique and it would pop against the pink blanket. 

-A tip, you want to make sure you  line your working space with either newspaper or cardboard because glitter will be everywhere. I usually will do either of those and then put a piece of printer paper over it so I can save the excess glitter.- 


Line the shadowbox with the blanket of your choice. We got a "Special Delivery" blanket with the name of the doctor who performed my c-section. This blanket is a thicker material so it was a little bunched up in the frame which is okay, it just shows a little. I thought of using the little hospital blanket that is given to all the newborns, which would match Braxton's, but thought it would be cute to use this one instead. Pin the blanket where it's folded so you can take it out and arrange everything. 




Here is where you can do whatever you want. I placed everything in different spots until it fit perfectly. I originally wanted to use her full coming home outfit but the onesie looked best without it being too busy. With the thick blanket, I didn't have to use pins or hot glue for the stuff to stay. If you're using something thinner, you may have to but remember, with the hot glue you won't really be able to re-use anything. I decided against it just in case Ava wants to use them later down the road. 

After everything was where I wanted, I placed the glass over it and then carefully flipped it over. I put the cardboard backing on it and closed it up. 


Simple and easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design