PAGES

An update on Braxton's speech delay

Monday, May 19, 2014
crystalrosee.blogspot.com
Birthday party fun yesterday for his cousin.
I have had quite a few people ask me how Braxton has been doing after his tube surgery, regarding his speech, and I'm so excited to say that he's doing so much BETTER! He's responding to us in a way he has never done, he's now trying to make new sounds, and he even has new words. He's asking for more things specifically, which is really helpful in avoiding some frustration based meltdowns. I really can't even begin to explain how happy each new thing makes me. His words aren't perfect and you definitely have to really listen to him but it's a huge change for us.

We had Braxton's IEP meeting last week for the end of the school year, and I was sort of nervous for it. If you don't know what an IEP is, it stands for Individualized Education Program, and we started one when Braxton turned 3. At our last meeting, which was in December, I was a little thrown off because I didn't truly realize how much his speech delay was interfering with his school life. I mean he's only in nursery school two days a week with other 2 and 3 year olds, I didn't think it would be a big deal. They read reports that said he wouldn't sit for more than a few minutes for story time, he would hit and bite (ugh) his classmates to get their attention, and other "disruptive behaviors." No parent wants to hear that their child is acting out and not participating the right way.

On Thursday, going into the meeting, I prepared myself to hear the same things but I was pleasantly surprised at some changes he has made. The reports were written before his tubes were put in, which was good in one way but I also wish we had reports of how he's doing after them as well. He is no longer biting anyone, which is huge, but he does occasionally hit them which we can work on. He's doing pretend play more, participating in activities, and he's completely self sufficient with going potty. They said that he still wasn't sitting during circle time, and other activities like that BUT after everything was read I spoke up and asked "What if he isn't sitting during circle time because he just can't hear the story? I don't think any 3 year old will really sit still for something that they can't hear." Everyone agreed with that and we all agreed that these tubes are going to make such a difference for him. Even the directors there said that they noticed a difference with him just sitting there for the meeting. Last time he was ALL OVER THE PLACE, wasn't listening, and was only making some sounds. This time he was less over the place (haha), listened very well, was being polite and asking "please" for things...he was just being an all around good 3 year old boy.

At that meeting we set up a plan for his next year at preschool and I'm pretty confident with it. He will still have one on one support in the classroom to help with speech and other things and we are still going to have speech therapy at home. It's a little annoying that speech therapy stops once the school year ends this year but it just means that Brian and I will have to work even more with Braxton ourselves, and that's totally okay. A couple days ago we saw his IEP director at AC Moore, she recognized us instantly, and she came up to us and just said how excited she is to see his progress coming up and that she thinks the tubes are going to be the best thing we could have done. A little while later we saw her as we were leaving and she said "He has turned such a corner! You can already see it." Hearing that made me so happy inside. I have needed to hear that, and to hear it come from someone in her field truly meant something.

 I posted this on Facebook already but I have to share here..."I just showed Braxton a video of kittens that our local SPCA posted and I go 'Braxton, what do the kitty cats say?' And he goes 'meow-mew' in the sweetest little voice. This is big for him, and it's not the only gain he's had since the tubes. I'm feeling hopeful (and currently wanting a baby kitten even though I'm not a cat person)" that was on May 15th. I posted this today..."Braxton can now tell me what a cat, dog, frog, sheep, and cow say!! I just started with the last 4 last night, this is big!" I'm so proud that he's even trying, and it's so so so cute to hear his little voice emerge. It's the sweetest. I can't wait to keep posting what else he's getting into coming up! Thank you so much to everyone who has asked about him, it means a lot to me.

crystalrosee.blogspot.com
Sticking his fingers in the cake...before it's even cut. Of course haha


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design