PAGES

DIY'ing with Glitter

Saturday, May 24, 2014
 Ava's first birthday party is a week from today and I have been in full on party planning mode for quite awhile now. I have been painting, and gluing, and glittering so much stuff. If you saw me lately I probably have had some pink paint or gold glitter all over me. This is the first time that I can say that I have done everything all by myself, and I'm so proud! Usually when it comes to painting (which involves sanding first) I have Brian do it all but this time I decided to get over the whole "I don't think I can" and just do it. I can't wait to share all of my DIY's but for now I'll show some glittery stuff.

DIY with glitter and Mod Podge

Mod Podge and glitter is a favorite of mine, even though it's the messiest. I have done so many different things with them, and it's always so easy. You can glitter just about anything, and I'm pretty sure anyone can do it. Mod Podge can be made or you can buy it at a craft store. I bought mine ages ago with a 50% off coupon so it was cheaper to buy rather than make. Glitter can also be expensive but I'm a big bargain hunter and only buy when I can find a good deal. Martha Stewart is like the best of the best when it comes to crafts and usually the 24 pack of glitter runs about $29.99 or more, depending on where you go. I really like how fine the glitter is, but you don't get a bunch so that price tag is a little much for me. Luckily, at my local AC Moore, they had it on sale for $14.99 and I had an additional 20% off coupon. How am I supposed to pass that up?

For Ava's smash cake, I wanted a glittery candle, and for some reason I thought at first about buying one from Etsy until I was like "wait, I can make one, what am I thinking?" The nice thing about Martha Stewart glitter is that it's non toxic so I just decided to use that for the candle. 

DIY glitter birthday candle

All you need is Mod Podge, glitter in the color of your choice, a paint brush, and a candle. You want to paint the Mod Podge on just enough so there's a base of glue for the glitter to stick to, and then you just shake the glitter on. I always do this over newspaper to catch the excess, but still end up with it everywhere somehow haha Set the candle aside and let it dry. I only did the front of the "1" because I liked the pink showing. If it would have been a white candle I probably would have covered all of it, but that's me. 

DIY glitter birthday candle
Florentine gold is the perfect gold color.

I have been set on DIY'ing a cake stand for Ava's smash cake but haven't found a plate that I thought was perfect for it. I bought the sweetest little, vintage china set from Salvation Army yesterday for $8 (seriously, it's a huge box of all matching china...I was amazed.) and I decided to just glitter the whole plate. I spray painted the thrifted candle stick a few weeks ago so I thought a glitter plate would look amazing with it. The plate that I decided to use had lots of crazing and there were a few chips in it so I didn't feel so bad covering it in glitter. I plan on using the rest of the china at the party for everyone to eat off of. I mean for $8, why not?

DIY glitter cake stand

I used the same gold as I did with the candle, and also pulled out some of my stash of cheaper glitter since the plate needs a lot more coverage. I poured the Mod Podge into the lid of a leftover Chinese food container (it's recycling, ya'll) so I could dip my paint brush in that easier compared to the huge bottle. Doing the plate is the same idea as the candle, just paint the glue on and sprinkle the glitter. 

DIY glitter cake stand

Once you're done with the top, you can either choose to be done, or you can let it dry and then cover the bottom with glitter as well which I decided to do since the candle stick is so high. 


You use A LOT more glitter that way, obviously, which is why I used my cheaper stuff as well. I didn't worry about full coverage with the glitter, there are a few spots that aren't completely covered, but you won't be able to tell when the cake stand is put together.

To hold together the plate and the candle stick I picked up Goop from Home Depot. I didn't quite love it but it did the job. 


The only "tricky" part is making sure the plate and candlestick are even before you bond them together. I think I did decently well but I kept second guessing myself haha 

DIY glitter cake stand
Ta da! 
I'm pretty pleased with the outcome and I can't wait to see the gorgeous cake that will be on it. My talented friend Maria, whom I have featured here before, will be making Ava's smash cake. I'm getting so excited to see all my work come together next weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design