PAGES

A DIY Project Fit For a Princess

Sunday, September 27, 2015
I haven't done a good DIY project in a little while so I figured I would jump into something girly for Ava's room.


I've had this Pottery Barn Kids tulle canopy for over 5 years. It was given to me for Braxton's room, before he was born, and I just never put it up. It briefly got hung up in our play room but it never truly got any use. When I planned Ava's first birthday party, I actually had plans to decorate the canopy like I decorated these paper lanterns but I just had more important things to get done. So yeah...the canopy finally got decorated...2 years later.

DIY Pottery Barn flower canopy

The flowers are all from Ava's first birthday party. They're from Hobby Lobby, AC Moore, Marshall's, as well as a couple from The Dollar Tree. I wanted to use bigger flowers that looked more real and I'm pretty impressed with the selection I had left over. I almost wish I had some more colors, instead of 99% pink, but I still love it and Ava absolutely adores pink. 

DIY Pottery Barn flower canopy

All I did was pop the flowers off of the stem, which is super easy, and then I put some hot glue on the flower and stuck it to wherever a leaf was on the canopy. I tried to follow that instead of sticking flowers everywhere because with how big the flowers actually are I didn't want it to look tacky. Since I was working with hot glue, obviously I burned myself a few times since that's who I am as a person haha (Be careful when you're sticking hot glue onto something that's so sheer) You want to press the flower on firmly for about 30 seconds so it really holds. 

DIY Pottery Barn flower canopy

Once I got the flowers on, I added some extra leaves from the stems leftover. (You just pop those off as well) I didn't add leaves everywhere, just to some, but I may go back later and add more...who knows. The thing with this is it's all up to you and I love that! 

DIY Pottery Barn flower canopy

The whole thing took me, maybe, 30 minutes from start to finish. I wish more DIY projects were that quick and easy! 

DIY Pottery Barn flower canopy

I made this while she was napping and when she woke up and saw it, she was obsessed. She literally gasped, smiled, ran up to it, and started twirling in it. I call that a success, right?

DIY Pottery Barn flower canopy
Everyone loves a good before/after side by side picture
I seriously can't wait to show you what it looks like in Ava's room! (Side note, it'll be in tomorrow's Monday's Obsessions along with an amazing giveaway)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design