PAGES

Guest Post // A fun way to learn colors

Thursday, June 12, 2014
Yesterday I saw my friend Whitney post the cutest thing on Instagram and I instantly asked her if she would like to share it on here. She is actually always posting fun little activities for her son and I think she really has some great ideas for learning games for the littles. I loved the idea of this game particularly because I knew it's something Braxton could get into and he could excel with it even with his speech delay. This is my first guest post on the blog and I'm excited that it's this! Make sure you follow Whitney on Instagram for more fun ideas as well...


Hello everyone! I’m Whitney and I’m thrilled to get to share my “color game” idea on Crystal’s blog! I am a stay at home momma to one wild little 19 month old boy, Brody. I absolutely love staying at home with him and take full advantage of teaching him everything I can. Just like any mom, I expect a lot out of myself when it comes to what I teach Brody. I want him to love to learn and believe it’s my job to fill his tiny brain with as much knowledge as possible.

            So, here I am writing out my list of what all I want to have taught him before he turns 2... Knowing and identifying basic colors made the cut. Wham! The idea for my color game was brought to life. Now here is a little fact about myself, I love to save money. I mean, who doesn’t love a good bargain? That’s exactly what this color game is. My goal was to create a low cost yet equally as fun game to teach my tiny son his colors.  This is where the local Dollar Tree came to my rescue!


                                                            Here’s what you’ll need :
  •  5 small basket (Red, Yellow, Green, Blue, & Purple)  $1 a piece
  • 1 pack of colored Popsicle sticks $1 *side note, you want to do basic colors so the sticks and baskets match
  • 1 piece of paper
  • Tape
  • Colored markers, crayons, or whatever you have to write the name of the color on a label
DIY color learning game

Ok here’s what you’re going to do, take your colored basket, tear a small piece of paper to label the color of the basket and write in the same color as your basket then tape the label on, like this.

DIY color learning game

Take about five of your popsicle sticks and match the same color stick to basket. You want to make it where they can identify that the red stick goes in the red basket. What I do is pick up one of each of the sticks and tell Brody what color it is, then I put it in the matching basket. After that I ask him to try. Sometimes he picks up more than one color at a time and that’s fine because he is just learning. Just make sure to correct them if they put the wrong color in the wrong basket. I tell Brody "Uh-Oh" and ask him to pick it back up and place it in the correct basket.


DIY color learning game


 You want to praise them a lot when they get it right! That’s what makes it fun for them. When they get really good you can try mixing up the sticks to make it a little harder for them. Also, its ok if they don’t catch on right away or they only participate for 2 minutes, they are still learning. We have days where Brody likes to play for ten minutes straight and days where after 2 minutes we have flying sticks so it’s really a go with the flow type game. 

DIY color learning game


Have fun with learning colors and I hope that ya’ll find this game to be very useful!            

                                                            -Whitney



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design